Redesign and migrate to new website
Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility is a vibrant, progressive organization that works to build students’ social and emotional skills, strengthen the classroom and school community, and make schools in New York City (and beyond) more caring and equitable through restorative practices and brave conversations on race.
Although Morningside’s previous website offered many free lessons and strong content for educators, those assets were difficult to find and like content was not related. The Drupal 7 Content Management System (CMS) on which the site was built was outdated and hard to manage, and the organization’s website did not illustrate the spirit of the organization.
Morningside sought a partner to fully re-envision its site from the ground up with new information architecture, a modern CMS, and increased visual appeal and functionality for users. Fíonta and Morningside Center worked together to completely rearchitect, redesign, and migrate the website from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. “Teachable Moments” –free lessons –take center stage and relevant lessons can be quickly discovered using filtered search.
Website was hard to use no matter the device
- An overly complex Drupal 7 configuration was difficult for Morningside staff to maintain.
- The sitewide search functionality did not work well, and lessons could not be related to other content that might be of interest to the user.
- The site was designed before the advent of mobile devices and did not render well on cell phones and tablets.
Solutions and Results
Modern CMS, improved architecture, consistent look and feel
- Fíonta built the rearchitected, redesigned site on the modern Drupal 8 CMS, offering Morningside additional functionality and ease of use.
- A filtered resource library of Morningside’s Teachable Moments lesson plans means that those key assets are now accessible, shareable, and presented with contextual, related lessons or articles due to improved sitewide taxonomy and search.
- We styled Morningside’s Donate page on Network forGood and created a new email template design to match the fresh new website and emphasize the brand.